Too many businesses depend on the location where they are located and especially from traffic on that location. Low-traffic location is the location that doesn’t have enough people who would pass over that location. So, if your business success depends on the traffic of the potential customers there, you will need to do something related to your marketing.
This problem is more expectable to small retail businesses that depend on such a traffic. For example, more people pass by your location, you will have more potential customers, and at the end, more buyers for your company.
I’ve received many times question from different entrepreneurs that have this type of problem for their business. They ask me how they can market their business in the case of low-traffic location of their store? Here are my answers to that question:
1. Start With a Good Marketing Plan
You need to prepare yourself before you start doing some things related to marketing. It is important for you to plan ahead all possible things that will happen based on your actions.
So, start working on your marketing plan that will be simple and that can be easily accomplished from your side. In that simple marketing plan define following things:
- Marketing purpose for your business. Simply define what benefits you want to get in the form of your benefits from your marketing campaigns. What you want your potential customers to do after they become a part of your marketing campaign? Do you want to generate one-time customers or repetitive customers that will be satisfied and come back to your store for more purchases?
- Competitive advantage. What is your competitive advantage in the form of benefits for your current or potential customers? You have to emphasize all of these benefits inside each of your campaigns. This is the crucial part if you want to attract more customers at your low-traffic location.
- Definition of your target potential customers. Who will be the potential customers which you want to attract? Here you’ll define your potential customers in terms of who they are, what is their behavior related to your business, where they are…? It will be much easier to you when you implement your marketing plan if you know exactly who you want to attract.
- Budget. How much money you want and have to spend on promotional activities for your business. Your plan will need to cover this questions because they are important for the successful implementation of all required activities related to marketing. So, think about what you need to spend and make adjustments with what you can afford it.
- Marketing tools. What marketing tools or weapons you can use to attract the attention of your potential customers defined previously? This part will be as a list of possible marketing tools that you’ll use. So, make a list, define a budget and timeframe for each item and start to implement one by one thing. Remember that you are always in a testing or experimenting mode. So, you can make mistakes, but when you find them, simply work on their improvements.
- Commitment elements. This part of a marketing plan will be something that will guarantee the accomplishment of your plan. Commitment elements can be expressed as a person that will be responsible for each marketing tool and date when each marketing tool will be implemented.
2. Specify how they can find you
So, now you have your marketing plan, and it is a perfect time to work on possibilities how your potential customers can find you.
In each marketing weapon that you define in your marketing plan, you must specify how the potential customers can find you. Because your business is not located on high-traffic location that is well-known, you must place some type of map on each marketing weapon that you will implement in the future.
But remember, if your location asks more efforts from their side to come to you, you will need to offer more value to them. Only in such a way you can expect that they will accept to invest more efforts to come to your location.
3. Always be present in locations where your potential customers are
Now, when you have all previously mentioned elements of a simple marketing plan and know your potential customers about who they are and where they are, you will be able to be there with your marketing weapons.
If they are in the local restaurant, put some of your marketing tools as flyers or brochures there. If they are on Facebook or Twitter let your business be there.
You must be as much as possible creative to give them something as a discount or gift if they become your customers.
4. Use the possibilities of modern e-commerce solution
If your location is located on low-traffic location, why not try to bring your store to the places where your customers are. This can be done by developing your web store in the form of e-commerce solution so your products and services will be accessible from everywhere.
You will not only improve your sales and accessibility of your business to your customers, but you will also learn more about them using real-time analytics. This is important for the future development of your small business.
You can read more about five strategies for your e-commerce success.
5. Let’s social media become your business next best friend
Today we can not imagine that someone is not present on some of the biggest social media channels. So, this strategy can be a cost-effective marketing strategy for your small business to bring more customers at your low-traffic location. So, why not use them.
- Start with business blogging. You will need to have the online base, and the best possible place for this can be your small business blog. Your blog will become the place where you will regularly update different pieces of information related to your small business, the value you offer and products and services and their benefits to your customers. Read more about more than 100 ideas to write on your business blog.
- Use YouTube channel to show what you offer. Simply, making small videos where you will show your expertise, benefits, and value you offer and how potential customers can find you is a strong strategy for your business success. So, create videos, upload them to YouTube and share them across other social media platforms.
- Use other important social media platforms. But, don’t stop on your blog and YouTube channel. Start developing a presence on other social media channels. There are most of your future potential customers.
6. Measure the results
As I already mentioned earlier in this post, everything that you do is some type of experiment for you and your business. Something will succeed and bring results, but something will not succeed and will need to be replaced with other efforts.
So, measure the results of each marketing activity at the places where your potential customers are. Use marketing calendar template to measure these activities.
7. Continuous Improvement
And normally, improvement is something that you must do it on a regular basis.
Measurement will tell you what is good and what isn’t good as a marketing activity for your business. Check the results from measurement of these activities and compare them with the first element of your marketing plan – marketing purpose for your business.
Everything that doesn’t give you results you want to achieve change it, and everything that gives you results, improve it.
This is the simple process that you can implement for your business if your location is a low-traffic location.