With the rapidly increasing demand for green buildings all over the world, more people are interested in becoming a LEED Green Associate or a LEED AP with specialty. Architects, civil engineers, mechanical engineers, electrical engineers, real estate professionals all over the world are earning the LEED credentials to manage green building projects and to enhance their careers.
Here is what you need to know about becoming a LEED Green Associate or a LEED AP:
How much does the LEED Green Associate and the LEED AP exam cost?
The LEED Green Associate exam fee is $200 for USGBC members, and $250 for non members. For students, the LEED Green Associate exam fee is $100.
The LEED AP with specialty exam on the other hand will cost $350 to non USGBC members, while the USGBC members can take the exam for $250.
There is also a combined exam for the LEED Green Associate and LEED AP with specialty which is $400 for USGBC members and $550 for non members.
How can I apply for the LEED exams?
- If you have an existing USGBC site user account, log in to your credentials account to register for the exam, or create a new account if you don’t have one. www.usgbc.org/credentials
- Make sure that the name you enter, exactly matches the name on the ID you will present at the test center. If it does not match, please update your name on the website’s user account “settings.”
- Review the address in the profile. (The certificate will be mailed to that address.)
- Select the credential exam you wish to apply for, and follow the instructions to complete the application.
- You will be redirected to prometric.com/gbci to schedule your exam date and location.
- When the exam is scheduled, you will receive a confirmation number onscreen and an email through Prometric.
- Print and keep your confirmation number. You will need this confirmation number to confirm, cancel, or reschedule your appointment through the Prometric website.
- Once you register and pay for your exam, you have one year to schedule your exam session. You may request one six-month extension of this one-year period.
What are the eligibility requirements to apply for the LEED exams?
There are no eligibility requirements or prerequisites for taking the LEED Green Associate exam. All test-takers must be 18 years of age or older. In order to take the LEED AP with specialty exam, test-takers should hold a current LEED Green Associate credential.
How can I prepare for my LEED exam?
It depends on your preferred study method. If you like reading, it would be a good idea to purchase the LEED Green Associate V4 Exam Complete Study Guide (Second Edition). If you learn better by watching, I would recommend the online LEED Green Associate exam prep course of Leeducate.
Does the LEED credentials granted for good?
No. Both the LEED Green Associate credential and the LEED AP credential expires if the credential holder does not meet the requirements of the Credential Maintenance Program (CMP). According to the CMP, LEED Green Associate credential holders must earn 15 continuing education hours every two years, and LEED AP with specialties must earn 30 continuing education hours every two years after earning their credential.