In the small business world, everything that you and your company take or every action that you take is about the accomplishment of something as your business goals.
Are you a type of entrepreneur who manages your company without goals? The small business without proper objectives is the same as a man lost in the woods. Here, I would like to share with you 18 questions that will help you to set up your business goals.
Start With Your Finish Line
You can’t start setting up your business goals if you don’t know what you want to achieve in the future period of time. You must know where you want your company to be in the future.
Answer these questions:
1. Where is my company now in terms of customers, sales, revenue, profit…?
2. What’re the results from the past? Why I have achieved and why I haven’t achieved my goals from the past?
3. What I need to improve in the goal-setting process learned from the previous two answers?
4. Where I want my company to be in terms of customers, sales, revenue, and profit after five years from today?
5. What’s my business vision?
6. What’re my targets for the next five years?
7. Are there some types of obstacles stopping me to achieve my goals?
8. How can I overcome obstacles if there are some of them?
9. What will happen in the future?
10. What are the trends in my industry, market, or related business environment?
11. What type of changes would I like to see within my company in the next five years?
12. What type of changes would I like to see outside my company in the next five years? Is it possible, and how much?
Setting Up Your Business Goals
As you can see with the previous section and questions, you have the basic framework for your business goals. You know what you want to accomplish, you know the future trends and you know what you need to accomplish.
Look at your objectives as connecting dots on the trajectory where you will want to be in the future.
Now with all that knowledge, you need simply to put your goals on the piece of a paper answer the following questions:
- Are my business goals specific?
- Are my business goals measurable?
- Are my business goals achievable?
- Are my business goals realistic?
- Are my business goals time-limited?
Define Action Steps for Each Goal You Set up in the Previous Step
Here, you only need to answer one question and after that, you are ready to start the race on the defined trajectory to the finish line.
- What actions do I need to take to accomplish each of the defined goals?