What is the website and what is the brochure? Are they same? Does your business website need to be as an online brochure?
At the beginning of the Internet as a place where you as an entrepreneur and your business can be found from potential customers, all business websites were brochures. This process was simply copying from the brochures into an online document available on the Internet.
However, today I think your business website at least should not be in the form of a brochure. If it’s in the form of a simple brochure your business can’t employ all benefits that a website can bring.
What is a Web Brochure?
A solid brochure usually contains:
- Home Page. The front page should indicate the reader to read the other pages of the brochure where the reader can see the presentation of your offer.
- Your Offer. Here you give a brief description of your products and/or services.
- Urgency. The brochure is intended to cause the urgency for action that will bring buying decision.
- The last page is with contact information.
Let’s see what content the website compared with the brochure now:
- Home page of the brochure = Home page of your business website
- Your offer of a brochure = Products as pages on your business website
- Urgency of the brochure = Special Promotion as part of your business website or which will have some elements that will attract attention of the visitors to take some action
- Contact information = About Us pages of your business website or Contact Us page.
Now you can understand why over 95% of business websites look like simple web brochures? I say “simple” because they do not utilize the full potential of the online presence of their business.
What is The Purpose of Your Business Website?
First and basically you’ve must ask yourself as an entrepreneur: What is the purpose of your business website or web presentation of your business?
If you don’t answer this question or simply you wouldn’t like to have a proper business website or don’t want to use it to increase sales of your business, then simply leave your business website in the form of a brochure.
If the purpose of your business website is one of the following then you need to go at a level where your website shouldn’t be as “simple” brochure:
- Increase visitors to the website.
- Increase conversion of an occasionally visitor to a regular visitor.
- Increase conversion from a regular visitor to a potential buyer.
- Increase conversion from a potential buyer to a real buyer.
- Increase conversion from a real buyer to a regular buyer.
- Increase interaction with potential customers.
- Strengthening the business brand.
- Generating more sales.
- Increasing the ability to you as an entrepreneur and your business to be found easily (more on this is covered in Inbound Marketing – Marketing for Today and Future).
These are primary and secondary goals of a business website. You can read more about primary and secondary goals in Online Objectives for Marketing Your Business.
How Can You Replace Your Web Brochure?
The replacement of your web brochure for a highly effective and efficient website can be done simply by replacing your static website with dynamic one. This means a complete change of strategy to your business web presentation as a marketing weapon. That’s constant work at your website, because it will not be static anymore.
The presentation of the products and services remain same, and also contact details, but you can add a new element called blog, which will be updated from time to time with different posts. For the importance of blogs to businesses, HubSpot has presented a study of business websites that have a blog and those without an incorporated blog in them. The results presented are following:
Companies that blog have far better marketing results. Specifically, the average company that blogs has:
- 55% more visitors
- 97% more inbound links
- 434% more indexed pages.
I think that these figures are sufficient indications to you as an entrepreneur to start changing your thinking about your business website.
Constantly Improve Your Business Website
After you replace the brochure you’ll be able to start with continuous improvement of your website. These improvements have a purpose your potential customers easily to find your business when they search for a solution to their problems that you as an entrepreneur can solve them.
The following items should always be the subject of improvement:
- Content – constantly publish quality content that will attract your potential customers and will add high value for them.
- Keywords that will be contained in this content. Think about your primary and secondary keywords.
- Internal links. Internet world is built on links, so you need to properly optimize your internal links on your business website.
- Meta Tags elements on each page. These are elements that are not visible to visitors, but visible to search engines.
This constantly improvement will bring more and more outbound links and improved visibility of your business web site.