Different companies will require different sales processes. It will be based on what type of products and services you are selling, how you are selling, and what type of sales channels you are using to sale your products and services.
Generally speaking, most of the sales process steps covered in this post can be implemented in different sales environments. For example, sometimes meetings will not be required especially if you sell online. But, you will need presentation that when it comes to online selling will be your sales copy where you are explaining what your customers will get for his money.
Here, I would like to present six step sales process that can be easily adjusted according to your needs. These are only basic steps for the starting point ideas and in many cases you will need to adjust them to reflect your own company.
Sales Process Step #1: Gain Knowledge
Think about what will happen if you don’t know your customers.
- You will target wrong customers.
- Focusing on wrong customers will make you to lose money, time, and efforts of your sales staff.
- Your sales process will have more unsuccessful sales attempts instead of successful.
So, start to systematically gain knowledge about your current and potential customers. Learn as much as possible about them because this is one of the most important steps in your sales process. This step will be the basis on which will depend all other steps.
Sales Process Step #2: Plan Next Steps
The next step of your sales process will be planning. Now, when you have already gained knowledge about your customers you will need to decide what will be next steps you will need to take.
From the first step you know that there are different customers with different needs, desires, wants, and habits. Here are some basic things you will need to do in this step:
- Based on the facts from the first step segment customers around their similarity related to their needs, desires, wants, practiced way of communication, places where they are, and other similar things.
- Design your communication channels for each segment of customers.
- Prepare procedures for the ways they will be contacted and communicated. These procedures will also contain sales scripts.
- Create time frame and sequences for different communication techniques you will use.
- Decide how you will use feedback to improve current procedures.
Sales Process Step #3: Contact Customer
This step is practical implementation of everything you have done in the previous two steps. If previous steps are preparatory steps in your sales process, with this step you start doing things starting with simple contacts.
Contacting customers can be made on different ways. You can contact them through phone, email, direct mail, Skype and so on.
Here are some things you can do in this step of your sales process:
- Chose the group of customers you will contact.
- Use contacting procedures you have designed in the previous step.
- Start contacting customers.
- Start recording everything related to what you have done and customer’s responses.
Sales Process Step #4: Agree Meeting
This step is optional because some companies don’t need one on one meetings to close the sale. But, if you need a meeting, the biggest priority in the previous step will be to agree meeting with potential customer.
So, if you agree meeting with your customers you will need to prepare enough for the next important steps to close the sale. Here are some things you can do in this step of your sales process:
- Gain additional knowledge about the specific customer with whom you will meet.
- Prepare different strategies for different possible situation.
- Decide what you will talk related to sales, but also something related only to your potential customer.
Sales Process Step #5: Presentation
The fifth step in your sales process is presentation.
The presentation step can be practical presentation of features of your products and services, or simply explaining the benefits your potential customers will gain using them.
Sales Process Step #6: Closing Sale
If everything you did in previous steps is implemented in the right way, this is the last step that will lead to closing the sale.