Are you a procrastinator? What you think about it, but be real in the answer of the question.
As human beings all of us have some type of procrastinating elements in ourselves. However, when we talk about you as an entrepreneur, or when we talk about businesses and specially small businesses, the procrastination is something that can kill your business.
In Wikipedia, it is defined as:
the act of replacing high-priority actions with tasks of low-priority, and thus putting of the important tasks to a later time.
As you can see procrastination push you back with your most important tasks.
Causes of Procrastination
If you want to escape from procrastination, you must start with the causes for it.
There will always be reasons why you procrastinate as an entrepreneur, and your job is to find and eliminate them.
In most cases, the causes of procrastination can be these three things:
- Fear. This reason is when you are feeling fear because of possible consequences from the completion of the project or tasks contained in that project. Each activity, each task, each decision implementation and each project completion means change from the actual status quo situation to the new situation. These new situations are unknown to you, and you feel the fear from that unknown.
- Poor project management. As another reason for procrastination can be poor project management. When the project is poorly planned, or poorly projected you have very poorly designed implementation steps. In such a situation, you need to check the project design and try to break down into very doable steps. Sometimes the preparation of the project leaves you without the necessary information that you need in order to complete the tasks from your project.
- Are you the right person for entrepreneurship? If you find yourself constantly procrastinate for the most important tasks in your business, maybe you are not the right person for this business.
Eliminate the Causes of Procrastination
You need to eliminate these causes if you want not to procrastinate. Use this questions to eliminate the causes:
- Why I procrastinate?
- What can I do about it?
- How can I implement possible strategies to eliminate the reasons for procrastination?
- How I can improve my accountability?
- How I can motivate myself for each progress that I made?
It is important to find the real answers of the questions because they will tell you what you need to do to eliminate all the reasons for your procrastination, and all the strategies that you need to implement to improve yourself.