Often times, when we talk about motivation somehow in our head appears the image of money. So we think that money is the most important motivational factor for employees. Although money is important, and one of the top motivational factors, sometimes there are other possibilities that you can combine especially if you want to get desired results.
You must be aware that money is not the only motivational factor for your employees.
Here are some additional opportunities in this field.
- Give compliments to the best employees. Those who give their best efforts to pursue timely and quality work accomplishments, those on which you can simply count as an entrepreneur, with one word the best one, want to be praised for their efforts. They want to show that because of their efforts and results, you rely on them. These compliments will have a positive effect on other employees who will want to reach same that level.
- Encourage competition. Another possible way to motivate employees is through competition encouragement programs. If it comes to the sales department, these programs will need to encourage greater competition for sales through non-monetary rewards, compliments, praise, choosing a sales person of the week, month, year… Prepare such programs with clearly defined “rules of the game” to stimulate competition and better results.
- Promote the best employees. Everyone wants to be promoted as one of the best at something. Such promotions not only provide the employees with reputation and authority in the organizational unit where they work, but also will provide an excellent reference in theirs CV.
- Give them a better job position. Promotion at the higher place on your organizational hierarchy can play a key role in the overall motivation of your employees. The best way is to design a program that will explain in details how they can move through the hierarchy and what will be the conditions that must be achieved for such a promotion.
- Increase the freedom in decision making. Sometimes even you pay your employees great sum of money, if they feel constrained in making decision that they believe can make without asking permission from you, is a really great demotivation factor. You need to follow this kind of demotivation sources in your organization, simply because with proper treatment, you will succeed to motivate your employees and to increase overall business productivity.
- Reward them with special products. Although most-requested prizes are money, sometimes non-cash prizes can play a big role in increasing motivation in your organization. For example, if you give them a picture as a present, they will be proud before his family and all visitors to their homes. Such a present could play a key role in motivating employees, but also will build a positive public opinion for your business of the wider community.
- Invite them, but with the families to an event. As an entrepreneur, surely you and your team take part in various events. Why not invite some of your employees to attend such an event, but together with their families. They will feel more important and will provide a solid sense of belonging in your business community.
- Build a friendly relationship. Your business is your second family. Sometimes, more time you spend with your employees than with your family. Why you can’t provide friendly relations with them?