Here is a book review of Leadership Transformed – How Ordinary Managers Become Extraordinary Leaders by Dr. Peter Fuda.
Building a really sustainable business will require much more things than innovation in products and services that will need to be sold to the customers. It is much more than developing customers and successfully brings your innovations to the market.
You need to build an organization willing to change and transform, and such a willingness can be achieved only if you and your team members are really extraordinary leaders.
I just finished reading an exceptional book related to this subject titled „Leadership Transformed – How ordinary managers become extraordinary leaders”. Leadership transformed is a book that will help you in your efforts to transform yourself as an entrepreneur or manager, your business team, and your business as a whole in order to survive in today’s conditions.
The book is based on a transformational framework that uses metaphors to describe each step or each part of the whole process. Dr. Peter Fuda really makes a fundamental design of the change process based on their own research, experience, and many practices and theories that previously were scattered in different managerial books I have read.
The transformation process proposed and described in the book is based on the seven metaphors for leadership transformation:
- Fire – Motivational forces that will initiate personal and organizational transformations in your organization as something really needed for your company. I usually talk about sources or drivers of change as something that can motivate you, and your whole business to think about future changes, and not only to think but also to prepare for the journey that the change process will ask to be passed.
- Snowball – Snowball effect is a metaphor used by the author to describe the need for the consequent momentum or required support from all sides and stakeholders for the upcoming change process in your organization. This step brings accountabilities and responsibilities for the change process, but also about the possible resistance to change that can easily become one of the biggest brakes of the momentum received with the snowball effect in the process.
- Master Chef – Leadership frameworks, tools, and strategies that you will need through the transformational process. There are plenty of tools and strategies that you can use in the change process in your organization, but as an entrepreneur, you can mix many of them in a way that can enable your successful implementation of the process.
- Coach – Mutual coaching is an important part of the change process provided by the author of the book. As your team members can learn something from you and the change process that is implementing in your company, you will also learn something new from your team members and the change experience. Without teamwork, your effort in transforming your organization will become obsolete.
- Masks – Putting masks on our faces to escape from our own imperfection is not so good strategy, especially when you are working as a leader to implement a transformational change process in your organization. How much quickly you will drop your mask, quickly you will become more effective and the real leader in your organization. Be yourself, be authentic, and it will bring you to the success that you want so hard.
- Movie – The author mentions in the book three applications of the movie metaphor in understanding leadership transformation: acting in a repetitive movie, viewing footage in the editing suite, and directing your own movie.
- Russian Doll – The last metaphor is a Russian doll where you can find one doll inside another one bigger and so on until the last smallest doll. The same principle is used in leadership transformation because according to the author, a leader’s personal journey never exists in isolation, it is surrounded by multiple other journeys occurring consistently. Your job is to focus on improvements in aligning all of these journeys.
Practical examples accompany all described metaphors in the book from the experience of Dr. Fuda with many leaders who already transformed their leadership style. After each chapter, there are next action steps you will need to do to learn more or to help you in your own situation.
I strongly recommend this book to all entrepreneurs who want to succeed in building really sustainable businesses.